A class of drugs known as prostaglandin analogues has lead to the rise of this elective medical treatment for eyelash enhancement. Latisse™ (bimatoprost ophthalmic solution 0.03%) product that has garnered popular interest in cosmetic treatments. Often medical researchers discover a treatment for something when searching for a medical solution for something else; this is the case with’ Eyelash Enhancement’ treatments. The popular brand on the market today is Latisse™ from made by Allergan.
Bimatoporost is a medication developed to treat the ocular pressure from patients suffering with glaucoma. As a side effect it was noted that eyelashes appeared to grow longer and thicker. Apparently the bimatoporost prolonged the growth phase of eyelash hair follicles. Allergan pharmaceuticals furthered researched this effect and gained FDA approval for the product branded as Latisse™ the only treatment of its kind.
Latisse™ cannot help individuals with eyelash hair loss do to the following:
- Industrial accidents resulting in chemical and thermal burns or Physical trauma due to injuries
- Surgical treatment of injury or tumor that results in removal or eyelash follicles and tissue scarring
- Medical treatments-radiotherapy or chemotherapy for cancer that results in hair loss
- Trichotillomania which as described before is a compulsive hair plucking condition
- Congenital absence of hair eyelash
- Adverse results from cosmetic enhancements such as eyelid tattoos, and traction alopecia associated with long-term use of false eyelashes
In the above listed circumstances an eyelash hair transplant is most likely to be the best solution.